Monday, February 19, 2007

I *heart* sugar cookies


I heart cookies
Originally uploaded by foodillusions.

And here you see my crappy picture taking abilities!!

I needed a 'Stephen approved' cookie and since I enjoy sugar cookies, decided to give it a shot.

This recipe is adapted from GFUtah

These cookies are gluten and casein-free. The soy is in the shortening. I can't find a soy-free version around my area. No artificial colors either. I did change the flours for some added protein.

Rolled Sugar Cookies

1 cup shortening

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

1/2 tsp vanilla

3 cups flour blend (I used 1 1/2 cups rice flour, 1/2 cup potato, 1/2 cup tapioca flour, and 1/2 cup sorghum)

1 tbl flax seed

1 1/2 tsp xantham gum

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

Cream shortening and sugar together. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat until creamy. In a separate bowl, mix flours, flax, xantham, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add flour mix to liquid mix until you can form a ball. Chill in refridgerator for one hour.

Roll dough out between a silpat and wax paper, using rice flour for easy removal.

Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Let cool before frosting tops. Makes about 24 cookies.

Buttercream Frosting (adapted from Farmgirls Mocha Buttercream Frosting)

1/4 cup dairy-free butter, softened

1 cup organic powdered sugar

1 tsp gluten-free vanilla

1 tbl rice or almond milk (Rice Dream brand has a tiny bit of gluten-so avoid that brand if you are sensitive)

2 tbl raspberry or strawberry juice for the pink color (I had some frozen berries in the freezer, just defrosted and squeezed the juice out)

Cream butter-mix in powdered sugar, vanilla, and rice milk. Beat until smooth. Add more milk to reach desired consistency. Refridgerate to harden. Spread on cookies and refridgerate again.

These cookies are soft and flaky and got good reviews from our preschool parents. I do believe my sorghum flour took some of the sweetness away but that was ok for my family. I used lets do...sprinkelz from Whole Foods on the top.

3 comments:

Jean Layton-GF Momma said...

Hi Christian,
These sound lovely but I am curious, what is dairy free butter? Is it ghee? These sound like the cookies I needed for the Valentines parties at my daughters school classes.
Thank you for sharing it.

Christan = ) said...

gf-momma: Your welcome!! Too bad you didn't find them in time...well, guess I didn't post them in time!!
I use Earth Balance butter for my cooking. I also have Smart Balance in my fridge, but haven't used it yet. Both of these butters are casein-free. I haven't used ghee as I'm not certain who to believe on whether it's truly casein-free or not.
If you try them, let me know what you think. I'm always looking for feedback besides my family!! = )

Cherrygal said...

Hey those cookies sound good cept for the soy part. You can find soy free shortening from a brand called spectrum it's coconut oil made in a healthier way.